Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My 7 yr old Doberman hasn't been eating well, he had an epulis

Customer Question

My 7 yr old Doberman hasn't been eating well, he had an epulis removed from his top left last tooth, a month ago. Benign, surgeon said gingival hyperplasia. Before that surgery and once since, he threw up yellow bile just before breakfast. No diarrhea. Now the inappetance is back. Vet prescribed omepreazole 2 tablets once per day, and an antinausea drug, zofran. I didn't give the zofran because my regular vet said he's not a fan of it, too many side effects. He suggested carafate. So he's been on carafate and omepreazole for 4 days now. Last night, tons of gas and flatulence! Middle of the night, watery diarrhea started. I don't think its the carafate as he's had that before a couple times and had no side effects. Still not wanting to eat.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
Now I agree that that the Carafate isn't going to cause these signs. Unfortunately, gas, belly cramps, and watery diarrhea are all side effects that we can see with Omeprazole in sensitive dogs.
Therefore, we'd be best to stop that medication now and rest his stomach. You can offer a bland diet (ie rice with boiled chicken, white fish, scrambled egg or cottage cheese). Otherwise, we'd need to consider using an alternative medication that he may tolerate better. Other options with similar effects that we often use with bilious vomiting dogs include Zantac (Ranitidine) and Pepcid (Famotidine). Otherwise, since we now have diarrhea, you can consider using * Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/kaolin-and-pectin-kapectolin-k-p/page1.aspx) as it will soothe both the upper and lower GI together. And if his lack of appetite persists, you could also speak to his vet about a trial on appetite stimulating drugs (ie Mertazipine).
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Haha… he's hardly a wee one.. He's 100 lbs! He had the last dose of omepreazole at 11pm last night. When should I start the pepcid and what would be the proper dosage?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,
Ah, as long as its not a horse, it is a wee one to me. ;)
(My own dog is a St. Bernard and he still gets called wee man here).
Anyway, do be aware that that Omeprazole will be in his system for 24 hours. So, it is has been ~12 hours so far, it will still be present and causing bother. In any case, we can start the Pepcid at the same time and this tends to be given at a dose of 0.25 to 0.5 mg per pound every 12-24 hours. So, for a 100lb dog, that'd be a safe dosing range of 25-50mg. Depending on what strength Pepcid you have, it may be best to just use the lower end of the dosing range to start as we would to settle his stomach.
All the best,
Dr. B.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you!
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome,
All the best to you both,
Dr. B.
Please remember to rate my answer when you are satisfied as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. IF you have any lingering questions or concerns, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)