Dr. Gene
Dr. Gene, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM degree from Ontario Veterinary College
20949193

My 2 3/4 y/o Bernese Mt dog has recently started "fly bitting".

Customer Question

Hi. My 2 3/4 y/o Bernese Mt dog has recently started "fly bitting". Has long history of GI issues, been successful on ID diet x 1 yr. Behavior started within 24 hrs following admin of Revolution (had ear mites following a grooming at a local dog grooming salon). Has had two previous administrations of Revolution without problem. He is shaking his head more and does the snapping behavior in well light areas as opposed to darkened rooms. Some evidence of anxiety...we are also packing to move. Lots of possible "suspects" for causes. Ears were checked about a week before new behavior and looked great per vet and still look/smell good from what we can see. Can Revolution provoke something like this? Info on the drug does not indicate it based on what I could find online. Also read could be r/t allergic reaction.
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Appetite normal, bowel/bladder function wnl, stool-a little darker than normal, demeanor -happy as ever except the anxiety at times over non-existent "flys" he snaps at episodically.
Expert:  Dr. Gene replied 1 year ago.
Hi there! I'mCustomer thanks for your question.Fly biting behavior is typically a sign of a partial focal motor seizure and I don't think that Revolution plays a role here... Partial focal motor seizures can be related to various disorders but in a dog that is younger than 5 years of age, it's most likely to be epilepsy, however, a large breed dog may be affected with a brain tumor that can result in the same symptoms, even at the age of 3. This is less likely than epilepsy, but still possible.Similarly, an allergic reaction to something is unlikely to be the cause either as allergic reactions typically have very different presentation, varying from itchy skin, gastrointestinal disturbances, swelling of the face or systemic anaphylaxis (which could result in passing out). Since there are many possibilities here and the potential cause could be quite serious, I would recommend seeing your vet some time within the next day or two. If possible, record the behavior on video so that you could show your vet, it will make diagnosis a bit easier. Alternatively, you could set up an appointment with a veterinary neurologist and have them evaluate him, which may be better since neurologists deal with this type of stuff more frequently. You can find a board certified neurologist near you here: http://www.acvim.org/AnimalOwners/FindaSpecialist.aspxIn the mean time, there is not much else you can do to stop the behavior. Just keep a close eye on him to make sure that he does not develop other symptoms, such as incoordination, trembling, falling, circling, etc. If he does, please take him to the nearest vet ER.Hope this helps!
Expert:  Dr. Gene replied 1 year ago.
Here is another link to information on seizures: http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=560
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for advice. Have the behavior on video already and been watching closely already (he sleeps through night no problem but I have him next to my bed- am an ARNP who has worked in neuro for humans s/p stroke, brain tumor excision, MS etc... so thought this was something neuro related but hoped might be reaction to med as onset was so soon following admin of Revolution as we can sometime see hallucinations/altered mental status in humans following use of certain drugs), Problem is moving tomorrow to other side of state WITH the dog. Will continue to monitor and try to get him to vet somewhere asap. Thanks
Expert:  Dr. Gene replied 1 year ago.
Hmm... Tough situation. It sounds like he's in good hands though. Anything can happen, of course, but I'm not aware of any neurologic side effects with Revolution... I think that if he's not showing the behavior often, you've go time and it's no hurry to get him seen. I would get where you're going settle in and find a vet (or see a specialist) there. Good luck on the move and let me know if other questions come up!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will do. Thank you very much especially for the link.
Expert:  Dr. Gene replied 1 year ago.
You're welcome!