Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

My 14 week old puppy was just diagnosed with giardiasis yesterday,

Customer Question

My 14 week old puppy was just diagnosed with giardiasis yesterday, which was Sunday. I left Friday afternoon for the lake and he seemed fine,he had some loose stool before I left but nothing I thought really strange. My fiance watched him for the weekend and noticed that he just seemed out of it and wouldn't eat much Saturday and was really tired, not much energy (which was really out of the ordinary for a lab puppy.) I got home and immediately noticed he was not well, he had vomited the night before and looked thin. I took him to the emergency vet clinic and they tested him first for parvo which was negative. Then they tested for giardia and was positive. I've just given him his second antibiotic pill and his second dose of panacur. How long before I notice good improvement? I know it hasn't even been a day yet since I took him in but he just looks so sad. He did eat some last night which I took as a good sign. But he has had no diarrhea, only not wanting to eat and a little vomiting and some weight loss. Just wondered if I should notice improvement soon. Thank you!
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 1 year ago.
Hi Sir or Madam,
My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.
Giardia is a protozoan infection and like any infection, it does require that the pup's own immune system become strong enough to help fight off the infection. The antibiotics of course help keep the infection in check until the body can do the job itself. The panacur helps is a secondary treatment and will also help deal with any parasites the dog has.
Typically it takes a few days before you see any improvement once antibiotics are started, so it is a good sign he is starting to eat. However, treatment is only one part of it. the other part is cleaning up the environment and being aware of how this is spread. Giardia sheds cysts in the fecal matter which then wash off into puddles, lakes streams and creeks. It will even get on the grass. When a dog eats grass, there is the possibility that they could become infected. Standing water in the yard might contain cysts and thus the dog become reinfected again. So all standing water in the yard where the dog is allowed must be eliminated. All fecal matter must be kept up out of the yard as well.
I personally take the extra step of bleaching my yard with a solution that is one part bleach to 30 parts water. I use a garden sprayer. This helps eliminate it in the environment as well. It also helps with parvovirus and seems to help cut down on other parasites as well.
You also need to not allow the dog to drink from various water sources such as puddles, creeks and lakes as they may be infected. It isn't unusual for a pup to contract giardia as they put everything in their mouths. Here is a site that talks about giardia in length.
http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/digestive_system/giardiasis/overview_of_giardiasis.html
I hope this information is helpful to you. If you need more information or clarification, please reply and I'll get back to you as soon as possible. If you are satisfied, please take the opportunity to rate.