Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog had a spa treatment which included an anal cleaning.She

Customer Question

My dog had a spa treatment which included an anal cleaning.She has pain and doesn't want to be touched near her hind legs.She walks a little but soon drags her butt and stops and stays in that spot for a long period.What should I do?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
Poor Sasha!
Has she passed any stool since this invasive treatment?
Any blood?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There was a small amount of blood in her first stool after her spa treatment but none since then.Her treatment was on July 4th and she ate on Saturday and Sunday but not today.Her stools over the weekend were soft but not runny.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you,
Now based on the signs you have reported, it does sound like the groomer may have caused some irritation or inflammation of Sasha's anal glands. And this is causing her discomfort. Now ideally in cases like these, we would want her vet to check that the gland has not been damaged and treat her with a dog safe anti-inflammatory (ie Metacam, Onsior, Rimadyl, Previcox) to soothe this for her.3
Otherwise, if you are delayed in having this checked for damage at all and since she hasn't had any bleeding since that one event, you can also consider trialling her on a low dose of aspirin (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/acetylsalicylic-acid-aspirin/page1.aspx). If you use this, do make sure it is not given on an empty stomach (since it will cause irritation).
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best, *****
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Keith,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Sasha. How is everything going?

nekovet