Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian
49838867

My dog hasn't eaten or drank hours and can't seem to

Customer Question

My dog hasn't eaten or drank for 24 hours and can't seem to get comfortable
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I'm sorry to hear that your fellow Elvis isn't feeling well, unable to get comfortable, and not eating or drinking for the past 24 hours.A lack of an appetite can be related to eating something he should not have, too many treats or table food, eating foreign material (which could cause a full or partial gastrointestinal obstruction), chronic pancreatitis, a dietary allergy or sensitivity, toxin exposure, a viral or bacterial infection, inflammatory bowel disease, internal organ failure, or even infiltrative cancers such as lymphoma.Because he hasn't eaten normally in 24 hours and he is not drinking I am very concerned about him. He will quickly become dehydrated and weak.Ideally he would see a veterinarian today because he is refusing to drink. Simple stomach upset should pass within 24 to 48 hours. They could examine him, run blood tests and possibly check radiographs and/or an ultrasound to evaluate him and know best how to treat him.In the meantime they can administer injectable anti-nausea drugs and fluids to rehydrate him.If you cannot have him seen today for whatever reason there are some things you can try at home.At home to try and settle his stomach you can give either:1) Pepcid ac (famotidine) at a dose of one 10mg tablet per 20 to 40 pounds of body weight every 12 hoursOR2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at a dose of one 20mg tablet per 40 to 80 pounds of body weight every 24 hoursThese are acid reducers and may help him feel less nauseous so that he will eat and drink. They are quite safe and can be used fro several days if necessary.You can use a medicine syringe to try and force water into him orally.A couple of hours after giving the acid reducer I recommend offering meat baby foods or a bland diet of 1/3 boiled minced white skinless chicken or boiled, lean hamburger and 2/3 boiled white rice, pasta or mashed potatoes mixed with some low salt chicken or beef broth to make it easy to lap up and swallow, improve palatability and get more fluids into him. If he continues to not eat he should see a veterinarian for an examination, diagnostics and intravenous fluids and supportive care.Please let me know if you have any further questions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. Unfortunately it's Sunday evening here so cannot see the vet until tomorrow. I am worried about him. He eats well normally and has so much energy, but he is just sitting...it seems lying down is uncomfortable, I've checked his abdomen and he doesn't appear to have any pain..
Not sure what I can do, I don't have any of the acid reducers and all the shops close at 4pm on a Sunday
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry to hear that you have no urgent care veterinarians available and are unable to purchase an acid reducer.Do you have any Pepto Bismol available?It's not my first choice for stomach upset but we seem a bit stuck otherwise. Most formularies recommend 1ml per 10 pounds of body weight every 8-12 hours. A 50 pound dog could take 1 teaspoon (5mls) every 8-12 hours.