Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311

My lab just ate quite a bit of dead crab while at the beach. Should I be worried? We are

Customer Question

My lab just ate quite a bit of dead crab while at the beach. Should I be worried? We are on So Oregon coast. My husband was clamming. He saw her eating a dead crab. I wasn't there to see it. she will eat almost anything
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.
Hi there! Thanks for requesting me. I just have a couple questions of my own to ensure I give you the best advice possible..Was it just a single dead crab?I assume she ate the shell and everything?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Parts of a couple of crabs. Mostly guts but I assume some shells also
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the additional information. I really appreciate it.As every dog owner learns sooner or later...dogs will eat just about anything!Luckily, your girl got into something a little less dangerous than some dogs (I've seen dogs eat everything from fishing lures to whole leashes!). I'm going to assume that the crab shells and pieces was one of the smaller ones, not some big giant King Crab shell...and with that assumption, I think the biggest risks to your dog would be choking, blockage, or gastrointestinal puncture.First, we can rule out the choking part. Obviously your dog swallowed it just fine.For the next two, you mainly just need to keep your eyes open. Any vomiting, diarrhea (especially either of the previous with blood in it), unwillingness to eat, pacing, panting, a stomach that looks like it's bloating or your dog being unable to defecate, and your dog should be seen at the nearest vet to make sure she's not blocked or that a jagged edge of a shell hasn't perforated something.Otherwise, as long as she's acting normally and doesn't have any of the list above, hopefully everything will just pass through her system without causing too much of a problem.I hope this helps!
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.
I would make a point to watch her when she's going out and defecating to see when the shells start to pass through. Once you see them, you can relax a bit.
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Champ. How is everything going?

Lisa