Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311

My dog has green puss filled blisters on his stomach, also

Customer Question

Hi. My dog has green puss filled blisters on his stomach, also so little scabs all over his body. I have took him to the vet a few weeks ago for this and he got tablets which cleared it but has since came back. I have another dog also, they are brother and sister. She has little scabs over her too but no blisters. They are both scratching. They dont live in dirty conditions and dont urinate in their beds. They will be 7 years old in august. I am thinking it is possibly a food allergy. The are on bakers complete and get wet food aswell
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can u just get back to me on here on here please instead of on phone, thanks
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.
Good morning. My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help you with your question today. Just like an in person consult, I have a few questions of my own to help ensure I give you the best advice possible.Are they indoor or outdoor dogs?Are they actually siblings from the same litter?Do they have hair loss on their faces, or around their eyes?How long has this been going on?Do you know if they vet did any testing on the areas?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thanks for the reply.They are kept indoorsYes they are from the same litterLola has hair loss on her back. She isnt completely bald, the hair has just thinned.Also thinned on the base of her ears. It isnt as bad as what is was. Ollie doesn't have hair loss. They both lick their paws and bite their feet.Lola's symptoms of hair loss have been going on for about a year but has improved slighly. The little raised, scabby bumps started about 6 months ago. Ollie, had a hair cut about 5 weeks ago and this is when I noticed the the raised, scabby lumps and green pus filled blisters on him. Ollie is long haired, lola is short haired.No testing has been done apart from the vet took a sample of ollies fur to see if anything showed up on that but nothing did.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Was just checking Ollie over and he has hair loss on his ears aswell. As his hair is longer its not as noticeable
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the additional information. I really appreciate it.At first I was thinking that it was possible that this could be something like mange, but since it's been going on for so long, and because the dogs are related by blood, I can't help but think that it is possible we're dealing with an allergy here.As someone who lives with an allergy dog herself, I can completely understand how frustrating it can be when you're trying to figure out what is causing your dog to be so miserable. With my pup, I had my vet do VARL testing (more info here: http://www.varlallergy.com/ ), which determined exactly what he was allergic to (turns out he's allergic to ragweed and a specific type of pollen), which made it easier to control his contact with the items he's allergic to. As a side note...many, many, many dogs are highly allergic to corn and corn products, so it could very well be that if any of the dog foods or treats that you're using contain corn, that could be part of his problem. We also began using the medication Atopica (more info here: http://www.atopica.com/ ), which helped control his itching and made him a happier guy. Atopica is sort of the 'big gun', and once we got my dog's allergies under control, we were able to switch to Temaril P instead (which is less expensive and it only takes 1/4 tablet once a day to keep my dog's allergies in check). There's also a new injected medication called Apoquel that has been showing serious promise in helping get allergies under control. So if this were me, I'd start with a trip to the vet for a quick check up. Ask them to do a skin scraping of the areas..this is where they scrape off a small amount of the skin and look at it under a microscope to see what is going on there. It's very common for allergy dogs to get secondary skin infections from the scratching, so making sure that's not going on here is a good step. I hope this helps.