How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lisa Your Own Question
Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 16176
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Lisa is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My dog had gotten into gum and he had now vomited five times

Customer Question

my dog had gotten into gum and he had now vomited five times now, with some white like stuff in it along with food. Should I still be considered about him eating gum
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.
Hi there. Thanks for requesting me. Just like an in person consult, I have a few questions of my own to help ensure I give you the best advice possible.What kind of gum did he get into?Was there Xylitol in the gum?Was it sugar free?When did he eat it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am not sure what kind of gum. It was in a clear package from a dental office that was throwing it out at a parade. He ate it about four hours ago now
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the additional information. I really appreciate it.So if it was from a dental office, we have to assume that it was sugar free gum....and if we assume that, then we have to be worried about the possibility of it containing Xylitol...which is an artificial sweetener that is toxic to dogs when consumed.I even more think it's the kind with Xylitol in it because if he ate it about 4 hours ago, that's about the perfect time for the symptoms to really start, unfortunately.Because of this, I have to strongly urge you to have him seen by an emergency vet tonight, as soon as possible. If you're not sure where the emergency vet nearest to you is, you can go to: ***** ***** plug in your zip code. They'll point you in the direction of the one closest to you.At the vet, they'll get him on IV fluids to flush his system and protect his kidneys and may want to get him on medications to protect his stomach. Since Xylitol is highly toxic, I would not wait until his own vet opens on Monday. I hope he does okay!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is it okay to give him water
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.
It's fine to give him a little drink, but odds are that he'll vomit it right back up.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok, is there anything else that I can do at home or does he just need to be taken in/ I just don't have the money for a huge vet bill. He's active and responding to us. it just he is vomiting things up
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.
He definitely needs to be taken in.Xylitol is incredibly toxic because it causes the blood sugar in dogs to drop. Hypoglycemia, if not corrected, IS FATAL. Signs of low blood sugar would be things like staggering, lethargy, weakness, dullness and can progress to things like seizures and coma.There's an in depth list here: http://www.petwave.com/Dogs/Dog-Health-Center/Heart-and-Blood-Disorders/Hypoglycemia/Symptoms.aspxI understand that you(like so many other people) are in a hard financial spot right now. There are some organizations that might be able to help. If you'll follow these links: http://www.speakingforspot.com/helppayingforveterinarycare.html , http://www.theamericandogmag.com/non-profit/resources-veterinary-bills-financial-assistance, you'll find dozens and dozens of organizations that may be able to help pay for you to take your dog to the vet. Also, there are some clinics who offer free exams and other treatments and require that you only pay for medications. If you'll follow this link: http://www.vcahospitals.com/main/offer , you can see if there is one in your area.