Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

How much childrens liquid Benadryl can I give my nine pound

Customer Question

How much childrens liquid Benadryl can I give my nine pound maltese?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome,This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.Unfortunately the expert you requested is not online at present but I know you will be wanting a quick answer so I have decided to step in, I hope this OK with you. My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }Regards,Dr Scott
Hello again and thanks for waiting. I have worked out an answer for you below ... 1. I am aware that many owners use Benadryl to calm their dogs down in the face of fireworks and it does indeed have useful sedative properties in the dog, provided he is otherwise healthy then you would be taking very little risk in using this class of drug. 2. A typical dose rate would be 1 mg per pound of your dog's bodyweight given orally twice a day { But you can safely go up to 2 mg per pound } As your dog weighs 9 pounds this gives a dose of 9 mg twice a day. The liquid Benadryl normally contains 12 mg per 5 ml dose { But be sure to check this on the pack first }. Of course the decision to dose your dog with Benadryl is up to you but from the above information the dose of liquid Benadryl for a dog of your one's size works out at 3.75 ml twice a day. 3. Please note that the only recommended Benadryl is the one which only contains the active ingredient being Diphenhydramine. Other Benadryl preparations with other active ingredients such as pseudoephedrine can be dangerous for dogs. 4. Here is a link to the use of Benadryl in the dog including oral dose rates and contraindications etc. : LINK . I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you. Regards,Dr Scott.Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
Hello again,
I am just checking back in to see how your dog is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the liquid Benadryl.
How are things going?
Regards,
Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you { Using the site rating system }, such feedback really helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Cocy. How is everything going?