Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis Graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management
14008320

The vet said my dog has parvo, I brought him home and began

Customer Question

The vet said my dog has parvo, I brought him home and began giving him water and rice and chicken,now he is up walking around and and he even jumps up on me, like he use to I added a cap of bleach to a gallon of water and he has been drinking and eating and being active again, does this mean he is getting better and if so will he get it again? He is almost a year old.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.
Hello, Sorry...a bit confused. Do you mean he has been drinking water that has dilute bleach in it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes I diluted the water I added 1 cap of bleach to a gallon of water, this morning he had a normal poop, and he is eating more, and is getting more active I feed him one can of dog food and added turkey gravy to it and I also gave him a yogurt and some pedia lite.
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.
Understood.The information about dilute bleach for drinking is bad information. It is not recommended for pets and can severely ulcerate the intestinal tract. It does not kill the virus like you would expect. It just causes damage. The fact that you are seeing improvement would not directly coorelate to the bleach water. It wouldn't work that fast anyway even if it were helping.Either way, great that there is improvement, but stop the bleach.Can he get it again? Well, yes, it is still possible but less likely. If the vet said he had parvo but never actually did a parvo test, than yes, he could still get it. Why? Because the vet is guessing. If no parvo test was done, than the chances for still acquiring parvo is still possible.But! If he gets his parvo vaccine updated, than chances are quite low. Also, at 1 year of age, if he had already had "all" his puppy parvo booster vaccines, I again am not sure if the vet's diagnosis is correct, unless he did a actual parvo test. Dogs do not get over parvo very fast. It can take several days, and that is with good supportive drugs. So, its possible he just had a bad stomach/intestinal condition that is resolving on its own.Hope that info helpsGood Luck!Dr. Andy
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.
Hi Carmen. B,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Kye. How is everything going?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Dr. Andy, my kye is back to his old self again everything is back to normal, he goes back to the vet on the 16 of July, when I told my vet about his recovery she could believe it also because she did do all the test and he did test positive for parvo, not saying your wrong about the bleach water but it worked for my baby Kye, and if you read a the stories and research a little more this method may just save other dogs it was not only on the internet but also on tv on the animal channel and a professional dog trainer and care giver suggests it my dog was dying and he lost so much weight, to where he is so full of life and is back to being bad as ever, and just think I was going to put him down.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My vet can't believe it,and I can't wait for her to see him and the big difference, I didn't tell her about the bleach water but I will when she sees him and I also prayed alot and God answered my prayers we must remember he created the animals too. Kye is alive eating,playing,and his poop is normal and the whites of his eyes are white again
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.
Very happy to hear about the improvement!Dr. Andy