Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

I have a female Dutch Shepherd dog and she is pregnant currently

Customer Question

I have a female Dutch Shepherd dog and she is pregnant currently and today is day 61. That is based on her progesterone tests and when we had her first bred. On Thursday night her temp went down to 100.2, then Friday morning 99.5, Friday night 99.7, this morning 99.4. She is still eating and I have not seen her nesting too much yet. I did see some mucus/watery stuff come out of her about 7pm last night right before she went to urinate. What are your thoughts on how close she is??
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 1 year ago.
Hi Sir or Madam,
My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.
You should be safe for the next 24 hours easily. Their temperature drops BELOW 99F and most drop to about 98.4F. Your dog's temperature seems pretty normal for a couple of days before whelping. She will likely stop eating the day before the pups are born. You will probably see her vomit up bile (mucousy stuff) on that same day and eat grass. Usually they tend to have diarrhea and empty their bowels as well. Seems like their way of getting ready to deliver since they usually ingest the placentas during delivery.
She should also be nesting a lot in the next couple of day especially if you have a nice out of the way, quiet dark place set aside for her to whelp in. The mucous/watery discharge occurs in the week before delivery and is most noticeable when urinating or slightly before or after.
So to answer your question, she'll likely go to day 63 at least. Just keep taking her temperature twice a day and when it drops under 99F, go ahead and take it again an hour later being sure that the thermometer is inserted the correct depth and you leave it in the required amount of time. If the temperature is still below 99F, then labor should start within the next 24 hours.
Here is a site that goes over the process and why it occurs. It is under normal delivery about 2/3rd of the way down the page.
http://www.labbies.com/reproduction1.htm
I hope this information is helpful to you. If you need more information or clarification, please reply and I'll get back to you as soon as possible. If you are satisfied, please take the opportunity to rate.