Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311

I have a border collie/Australian Shepherd cross who is 5 years

Customer Question

I have a border collie/Australian Shepherd cross who is 5 years old. 3 days ago she was limping..we live on a ranch and with no obvious marks on her, I figured she twisted her leg or stepped on something.
Just today she is getting around fine but the leg is swollen. When I apply pressure, she does not seem to be in any pain.
She has same appetite but she is losing weight.
Any thoughts?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.
Hi there. My name is ***** ***** I"m happy to help you with your question today about Tess and her bad leg.Sounds to me like your pup may have stepped or jumped wrong and twisted that leg. Of course, without being able to see the dog in person and take an x-ray, it's pretty much impossible to tell if it's a simple sprain or something more serious. In cases of leg injuries in dogs, especially tenacious breeds and/or hunting breeds, I always recommend seeing your regular vet just to be on the safe side.That being said, until you can get her in to see a vet, I suggest doing your best to keep her quiet. No running around, definately no dog park, just outside on a leash to go potty and then back inside. If she's used to being in a kennel/crate, you can keep her in there in an effort to keep her from jumping up on couches or running up and down stairs.If she seems especially painful, you can give one low dose or child's aspirin, but make sure you give it with some food to avoid stomach upset, and do not give more than one every 8-12 hours and do not give it for longer than 3 days.If the leg still seems to get more painful, becomes swollen or if she is unable to bear weight on it, I suggest calling your vet or taking a trip the the nearest emergency vet and having them take a peek at it, just to rule out anything more serious than just a little sprain.I hope this helps
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the response. I guess I did not do a good job describing the current status. Her entire leg is swollen and it feels soft to the touch. Her foot is also swollen. She does not seem to be in much if any pain. I was just worried about something like pitted adema.
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.
Ah, thanks for the additional information. It does change my advice ....I also would be worried about something like edema. Of course, anytime a leg is really swollen, we have to be worried about things like blood clots or other disease processes that are trapping fluid in the soft tissue, causing the edema. Cardiac issues can also cause this kind of edema, so that ups the ante quite a bit.Since it's the whole leg, and not just a little limp like I initially thought, I absolutely think the best thing to do is to have her seen by a vet as soon as possible. If there is an emergency vet in your area, I'd have her seen there today. If you're not sure if there's one around you, you can go to: ***** ***** plug in your zip code. They'll point you in the direction of the one nearest to you.I hope it's nothing serious.