Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

My dog has a lump on the side of her mouth and it's

Customer Question

hey there. My dog has a lump on the side of her mouth and it's hard, it's only appeared there today and it causes her discomfort when I touch it. Any idea what it could be?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 1 year ago.
Hi Sir or Madam,
My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.
There are a few things it could be. It could be an allergic reaction to an insect sting or bite. That can cause swelling at the bite site. You can read about this below. Benadryl at a dosage of 1mg per pound every 8 hours can be given.
http://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/diseases-conditions-of-dogs/emergency-trauma-urgent-care/allergic-reaction-to-insect-in-dogs
Another possibility is an abscess as the result of a puncture wound. Often dogs playing may get a puncture wound or a puncture from a thorn, piece of metal or scratch. Bacteria enters the wound which heals on the outside but multiplies beneath the skin leading to an abscess. Read more on these here:
http://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/diseases-conditions-of-dogs/symptoms/abscess-in-dogs
The other thing to check for is a dental issue. Look for red gums, black teeth, and broken teeth. Dental issues can lead to the formation of lump from an abscessed tooth.
If you are going to the vet, I wouldn't do much besides the benadryl unless she starts having problems breathing. If she does have problems breathing have her seen as soon as possible.
I hope this information is helpful to you. If you need more information or clarification, please reply and I'll get back to you as soon as possible. If you are satisfied, please take the opportunity to rate.