Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator
3570977

My dog was hacking last night but not really throwing up.

Customer Question

My dog was hacking last night but not really throwing up. She likes the grass but I didn't see that come up either. Now she is just swallowing a lot. I do think its stomach sensitivity. I have some pecid. She is 50 pounds.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for using this site to help you. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.
Sometimes that hacking gagging sound can be a reverse sneeze. It sounds like they have something caught in their throat that they need to get up. You can stop an episode sooner by rubbing under the neck area. There are many videos on youtube of dogs with reverse sneezing if you want to see what it looks like.Of course grass eating is a symptom of nausea, so if she is doing that often it is a good indication of stomach upset. You can give Pepcid and the link below goes over dosing amount and side effects. http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid I hope this helps!