Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My name is ***** ***** my Papillon (7 or 9 yrs.) has Patellar

Customer Question

Hi my name is ***** ***** my Papillon (7 or 9 yrs.) has Patellar luxation from what I've read, and with encouragement she can walk outside and urinate, but has not pooped in 3 days, yet she doesn't seem to be bothered by it. So I was wondering what I could give her to go? In advance thank you for your help.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, Lizzy. I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
I am sorry to her that your lass is struggling with her knee. In regards ***** ***** her pass stool, further to pain relief (which you may want to speak to your vet about a stronger and safer option if aspirin isn't enough), there are some home treatments we can use to get her feces passing a bit easier for her.
In regards ***** ***** options, you can start by offering some milk. We do find that milk can be helpful at getting things moving along if a dog has mild constipation. As well, cat hairball medication (ie. Catalax, Laxatone, etc) can be used to get things moving. This is available from the vet or the pet shop. It works to lubricate the gut and can facilitate the movement of hard feces out of the rectum.
Alternatively, you can administer a small volume of Miralax (1 tsp per 24 hours), lactulose or mineral oil orally. If she is eating, these can be mixed into her food. If you have to administer via syringe, do take care to avoid aspiration ( since that would cause problems we'd best avoid). Again as GI lubricants, they can just get things moving with more regularity.
Furthermore, if this is a common issue for her , then you can mix some canned pumpkin or a 1/4 teaspoon of unflavored Metamucil. Just like people, these can restore fecal output regularity. I would offer these with wet food to ease her eating of it, while making sure we are getting water into her (as canned food is 35% water). I would also advise encouraging her to drink as constipation can be complicated by dehydration. Make sure that she has fresh water and you can even offer low salt chicken broth if she won’t drink.
While you are doing this, I would advise that you monitor fecal output. If you try the above but are not seeing feces in the next 12-24 hours, or your she begins to vomit, show belly pain, or worsens at all, then they should be evaluated by a vet. Severe impactions of feces sometimes won’t respond to our gentle colon cleaning treatments, and those cases can require more aggressive treatment (ie enemas under sedation) to clear them out.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best, *****
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you! : )