Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

I have a 4 month old Great Dane who is extremely active. He

Customer Question

I have a 4 month old Great Dane who is extremely active. He went to the boarding facility for the first time today. This is supposedly a cage-free facility where they are watched during the daycare hours. After I went to pick up my dog I was told he was injured. First mistake they made was telling me it happened a few hours ago, they never even called me to advise of the situation. Depending on the outcome of this injury that part will likely be handled through the legal system as I did not sign any release of liability. Anyway, the most important factor is my Great Dane puppy is injured. He is walking on 3 legs, the right hind leg is the injured limb. He is keeping the leg raised, will not put it down to walk. He does not appear to be in pain, other than if I start manipulating movements he let's me know if is uncomfortable. I do not feel any swelling in the joints or extremities, but again their is obviously a injury. My concern is #1 what is this injury likely to be given he will not walk on the limb and keeps it raised? #2 Given he is still a puppy and growing rapidly as a Great Dane would does this complicate the situation. I would appreciate advise on the situation. Thank you
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call + Help via Email or Text Message. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 1 year ago.
Hi Customer,
My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.
Dogs who will not put weight on a leg could have a dislocated hip, or knee injury such as an ACL tear. You can read about dislocated hips here:
http://www.marvistavet.com/html/hip_dislocation.html
And read about ACL injuries here:
http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+2084&aid=474
.
Since he is not putting weight on it, it probably is NOT a pulled muscle. I would have him seen by your vet as soon as possible.. If possible, contain him in a crate until you can get him seen. If it is a dislocated joint it is best addressed as quickly as possible, though I do think an ACL or CCL tear is more likely. With a partial tear the dog might still try and use the leg, but then injure it more leading to not using the leg at all.
In addition, buffered aspirin can be given to a dog with a dosage of up to 5 mg per pound every 12 hours. Keep in mind that a dog's body does not metabolize aspirin in the same way as a human and thus should not be given more than a day or two without contacting your Vet. The aspirin may need to clear your dog’s system before other medications can be given, so keep that in mind if you decide to give aspirin and be sure and tell your vet when your dog is seen. Read side effects and precautions here.
http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/acetylsalicylic-acid-aspirin/page1.aspx
.
If aspirin is used, your vet may not be able to prescribe other drugs until it clears from your dog's system. I'd probably hold off on the aspirin if you are going to get your dog in pretty quickly.
the fact that your dog is growing and a large breed will complicate the issue. If it is a knee injury, it may also lead to the other knee becoming injured as it becomes stressed from supporting the dog's whole weight of the dog over an extended period of time.
Again, I would get your pup into the vet's as soon as possible and ask the VET to provide you documentation of the dog's injuries and if possible a detailed estimate on the probable treatment needed. Any legal advice would need to come from a legal expert.
I hope this information is helpful to you. If you need more information or clarification, please reply and I'll get back to you as soon as possible. If you are satisfied, please take the opportunity to rate.
.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?