Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator
3570977

Yes. My pommeranian has been dragging/spinning on the floor rather urgently forbsome time/

Customer Question

Yes. My pommeranian has been dragging/spinning on the floor rather urgently forbsome time/fays. I thought she just needed her glands cleaned. But today she is very frantic about it.I watched her more closely and its her urethra she is tryibg to get ti. I looked and it seems very red and angry.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for requesting me. She may have a urinary tract infection or stones causing an infection.Dogs will often try to scratch the area by rubbing it on the floor.
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.
It may also be a vaginal infection. Any infection will require antibiotics orally which you can only get from your vet
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.
She is free of fleas and on a flea prevention Correct?
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.
Here is more on possible problems with the vaginal area http://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/diseases-conditions-of-dogs/symptoms/licking-of-genital-area-in-dogs
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.
Your vet will probably want a sample to see if there is a uti or stones. IF it is stones causing a uti , then antibiotics and a change in diet may be needed. They will also swab the area to see if there is a vaginal infection.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes free of fleas. Using fontline.

Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.
I don't see anything in this breeds possible health concerns that would suggest anything other than a possible infection.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok

Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.
I would start simple and drop off a urine sample to the vet and ask them to check it, then get the swab done for checking vaginal infections
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.
That would be the easiest thing to start with. There are also dog diapers, you may be able to help her from rubbing on the floor and irritating it more until you can get her to see your vet. You may also want to try some dog cortisone cream to help with itching
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.
Is there anything else I can help you with tonight?
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Sharrie,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Cotton. How is everything going?
Sally G.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I got two types of antibiotics and some medicam for pain. Hooefully it helps.

Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.
I am glad to hear that. She should soon be back to normal:)