Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis Graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management
14008320

Our lhasa apso has had diarrhea days, i would say six

Customer Question

Our lhasa apso has had diarrhea for 3 days, i would say six to seven times a day. of the 3 days, yesterday she didn't drink water at all, today she had half a bowl. Hope it can wait till tomorrow for me to bring her to vet
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry to hear about this concern. I will wait for you to reply with a simple, hello, so I know we are properly connected.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hello
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i'm worried my dog has lost a lot of electrolytes, how bad is it for dogs...how long can she go without water. and now i noticed blood in her watery but barely any stool, hoping it's hemorrhoids...
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.
Hello. So, first question, can it wait for tomorrow. If you observe any of the following, you'll want to get into a ER veterinarian for better supportive care:- persistent vomiting or trying to vomit- bad diarrhea or bloody diarrhea- poor appetite that persists- excessive panting to suggest nausea or pain- bloated belly appearance or a tense bellyThe absolutely refusal to drink is a big red flag, and she will dehydrate quickly. So, get to a vet as early as you can. Not sure if intravenous fluids will be recommend, just fluids under the skin, or not needed.To help stimulate the thirst you can try offering gatorade, pedialyte, or even adding canned tuna juice to the water (make sure to change frequently).That blood in stool may suggest colitis, which is ulceration in the large intestinal tract. Very sorry that she is not feeling well.To help diarrhea you can give some pepto-bismol, but I strongly discourage using it repeatedly as it can cover up a more serious problem. Pepto-Bismol or Kaopectate The average dose is 1ml per pound of body weight, which is divided over a full day. So, if a pet weighs 30 pounds, they would get either 15ml every 12 hours, or 10ml every 8 hours. This is dosing for regular strength Pepto-Bismol. If you use maximum strength liquid, give half as much. Hope that info helps.Good LuckDr. Andy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your quick response. Another question: we switched our dog to a new food but in less than a week or so, we got carried away since she loves the new food. I understand that it should be gradually done in at least a week, to 2 wks. I'm thinking that may be the reason why she's not feeling well. In your experience, if this is why she is ill, can she recover from this? will it take a very long time?
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.
Hello, Depends. If the diarrhea started within 24-48 hours of starting the new food, yes, it could be the cause. But, bad diarrhea really shouldn't be persisting, so I wouldn't advise still taking a wait and see approach. Some pets may not recover so well because they actually have a continued issue with the diet. So, for me, if its already been 3 days, I definitely get a vet involved for better supportive medication. Dr. Andy
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.
Hi Kris,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Cindy. How is everything going?