Dr. Gene
Dr. Gene, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM degree from Ontario Veterinary College
20949193

My dog (10 lbs) got about 3 bites of my Dad's salmon at supper.

Customer Question

My dog (10 lbs) got about 3 bites of my Dad's salmon at supper. It was sitting in the aged balsamic vinegar of modena that was on the tomatoes. Do we need to go to the emergency vet? I'm sorry if you already answered this. Our ipad is having a fit! I'm on the laptop now.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Gene replied 1 year ago.
Hi there! Thanks for your question, I'mCustomerThe salmon shouldn't be a problem. As for the balsamic vinegar, which is usually made with grape juice, it's very hard to say because grapes are known to be a problem in dogs. Considering the amount consumed is likely minimal, there should not be any issues, other than perhaps a little diarrhea or a couple of episodes of vomiting.I would keep an eye on Coda for the next 12 hours or so and watch for stomach upset; other than that, there should not be any serious issues. If you notice that there are any signs other than mild vomiting/diarrhea, then see your vet tomorrow, but it's quite unlikely that anything bad will develop.I hope I’ve provided the information you were seeking!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Any other signs like...?
Expert:  Dr. Gene replied 1 year ago.
Anything unusual or out of the ordinary for Coda, such as lack of appetite or lethargy. Out of all possible problems, stomach upset is the most likely, which could result in vomiting or diarrhea; any other effects, while unlikely, are difficult to predict because the individual response to something that doesn't have a predictable response established / documented (i.e. balsamic vinegar) could vary. So, I would just watch for something Coda does that's unusual over the next 12 hours, but again, that's very unlikely...
Expert:  Dr. Gene replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Coda. How is everything going?
Customer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She had a rumbly tummy for a couple of days, one incident of diarrhea and then some soft ones. She seems to be back to normal, or nearly so as of this morning. Thank you for asking. She is the dearest thing to me!
Expert:  Dr. Gene replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the update! I'm glad things are going well! Please take care and let me know if any questions come up. Also, please kindly rate my service I've you have found it helpful!