Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
23185754

My 12 year old Chow came home from being kenneled week

Customer Question

My 12 year old Chow came home from being kenneled for a week and now has developed very watery, foul smelling, yellow diarrhea. I want to give him Imodium or something to help him but not sure what dosage to use. He is 55 lbs.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.
Hello. I am sorry to hear that your boy is having some diarrhea. My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help. You can try some at home treatment but it is important to know that yellow foul smelling diarrhea is most often due to parasite or protozoa infection like coccidia or giardia. Unfortunately this is something that is often picked up at kennels. If this is due to protozoa infection this can become debilitating so if the diarrhea last more then 2 days with treatment I would have him seen by your vet to have a stool sample sent out to the lab. Imodium can be used at a dose of 1 2mg tablet per 50lbs of body weight if he is under 50 lbs then it would be dosed at 0.04mgs per pound of body weight. It is important to dose this properly as this can be toxic in to high of doses. This can be given 2 times per dayPepto can also be used at a dose of 1 teaspoon per 20lbs of body weight 2-3 time per day. Pepto can turn the stool black so do not panic should this happen. You can also try a bland diet of boiled chicken and rice for a few days to help firm the stool. I hope this helps.Please reply back if you have additional questions and I will be more then happy to continue. If you have no additional questions please take a few moments to provide a rating so I am credited by Justanswer for assisting you.Candy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

which do you think works quicker Imodium or Pepto? Also, if he has had all his vaccines how can he pick up those infections and are they contagious to our other dogs

Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.
Vaccines do not protect against internal parasites or protoza and yes not only are both contagious to other pets but giardia and some types of worms can be transmitted to humans. Imodium works a little quicker.