Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
23185754

Both of our Chesapeake Bay Retrievers have hair loss on the

Customer Question

both of our Chesapeake Bay Retrievers have hair loss on the same spot on both ears. It's itchy, slightly bleeding and red. I do not see ear mites inside their ears or yeast infection.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.
Hello. I am sorry to hear that your dogs are having some trouble. My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help you today. If both dogs have hairless itchy spots it really would be best to have your vet do a skin scraping to make sure this is not related to ring worm or Sarcoptic mange. Both of these problems are transferable to other animals and will often start with small itchy hairless spots on the ears or face. I say that it is important to have this tested because both of these can also be transmitted to humans. Until you can get one of them in ( call your vet they may only make you bring in one) I would clean the areas daily and apply an anti fungal cream such as the ones used to treat athletes foot. If this is ringworm this may help clear it and control the itching. Topical anti itch creams or oral Benadryl ( dosed at 1mg per pound of body weight) can also be used to help with the itching. I hope this helps.Please reply back if you have additional questions and I will be more then happy to continue. If you have no additional questions please take a few moments to provide a rating so I am credited by Justanswer for assisting you.Candy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I added some pictures. Were you able to view them?
Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.
No I do not see any photos could you please resend them
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just spoke with my vet, on the phone, and she said it's most likely fly strike. They are really bad this year. Thank you for your help but I already have my answer.
Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome. Best wishes to you and both dogs. I am sure you will have this under control in no time