Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian
49838867

Sally I think my dog may have eaten miracle grow that was

Customer Question

Hi Sally I think my dog may have eaten miracle grow that was in the soil, also I think there were a few palmers in there too. What should I do.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry that you have been waiting for a response, but your requested expert isn't online which delayed your question coming up on the list for all to answer. I would like to help if you are still interested in an opinion.None of the ingredients in typical fertilizers like Miracle Grow are truly toxic. High levels of nitrogen, phosphoric acid and potash can be irritating to the gastrointestinal tract, causing vomiting and diarrhea, but no long term effects. The more she ate the more symptoms that you are likely to see.We can see calcium in fertilizers but calcium without vitamin D is not well absorbed and thus it will be hard for her to eat enough to be of much concern.Since she has vomited mucous 3 times she seems to have an upset stomach, and to settle her stomach you might want to give an acid reducer. At home you can give either:1) Pepcid ac (famotidine) at one half of a 10mg tablet per 10 to 20 pounds of body weight every 12 hoursOR2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at one half of a 10mg tablet per 10 to 20 pounds of body weight every 24 hoursThese are acid reducers and should help her feel better. They can be used for several days if necessary. I would with-hold food for several hours and when you do feed her feed a bland diet mix of 2/3 boiled, plain, white rice and 1/3 boiled, lean hamburger (or boiled, white, skinless chicken) for a couple days.That should be all you need to do. And of course hide the fertilizer from him! Dogs are really attracted to them, they seem to smell very yummy.If she is especially sensitive and you see significant stomach upset that even acid reducers and a bland diet don't control then she may need to see her veterinarian for an examination, an anti-nausea injection and fluids.I'm not sure what palmers are, so I cannot comment on the effects of those.Please let me know if you have any questions.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I just wanted to make sure that you received my response and did not have any further questions. If you have questions feel free to respond or if you are all set please remember to rate my response so that I receive credit for my work, thank you, ***** *****