Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

My dog went swimming in a pond on Friday. Sunday morning he

Customer Question

My dog went swimming in a pond on Friday. Sunday morning he vomited yellow liquid in 3 places. This morning his stool was yellowish. Tonight his stool was yellowish with some blood in it. I gave him chicken and rice last night, this morning and this dinner
meal. He swam in this pond a month ago and had diarrhea. He did ingest waterfetching his ball. I am wondering if he should be on an antibiotic and if it is a bacterial infection like guiardia?? sp??? (thought the bacteria was clear from pond:( ) Today his
energy level is slightly better than yesterday. He is a 2 year old part beagle. Thank you. Judy
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 1 year ago.
Hi Judy, Yes there is a good chance he has picked up a bacterial infection, or Giardia, from the pond water. The only way to determine if he does have a bacterial infection, or giardia, is to have a fecal sample checked at a vet clinic. The usual treatment for both is an antibiotic, that is also anti-inflammatory, for the gastrointestinal tract called Metronidazole.
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 1 year ago.
If he just had a stool with blood in it, I would fast him until tomorrow morning. That will let his gastrointestinal tract rest. During the fast he can have all the water he wants.
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 1 year ago.
Then tomorrow morning offer him one bite of plain cooked chicken and rice. Wait an hour. If he does not have diarrhea you can gradually give him more. If he does have diarrhea then he definitely needs to see the vet.
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 1 year ago.
Does that help? Do you have any additional questions?