Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

Our 3 yr old Brittany has not been eating at all today. She

Customer Question

Our 3 yr old Brittany has not been eating at all today. She was spayed last Thurs but seems fine other than licking her wound. She ate the last few days but didn't finish.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Inappetence and now anorexia are important symptoms but they're not pathognomonic for any one disorder. I need you to do a few things for me... Please check her gum and tongue color. They should be nicely pink not whitish (anema) or blueish-greyish (cyanotic/lack of oxygen to the tissues).Please check her respiratory rate at rest. She should be taking less than 40 breaths/minute.Please take her rectal temperature. This is a two person job! Any body thermometer placed 1.5" into her rectum for 1 minute should do. Normal is 100.5-102.5. I'll watch for your next post.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your reply! I ended up taking her to our vet who had late hours. She was taken off of the pain meds which may have been causing an upset stomach. She was also continuously licking her incision so she now has an E Collar. Feeding is slow, due to the collar now, but she will eat from my hand. Her temp was normal though and no infection at this time.

Thank you for the good update. I appreciate your taking the time to let me know.
You may receive an inappropriate follow up sent by the site ostensibly sent by me. It wasn't and I apologize in advance should you receive it.