Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian
49838867

My springer spaniel is about 8 mos old and he just

Customer Question

Hi, my springer spaniel is about 8 mos old and he just laid on his back for me to scratch his belly and his testicles look very red and maybe swollen? I'm not sure I've ever seen them look so red. It seems to be on the inner part of both testicles leading to his penis...the back side is more of a brownish color. When I touched them to see if I felt a mass or something he seemed uncomfortable and immediately started licking himself. We've been camping, and he was playing with another dog that's female. He followed her around for most of the weekend trying to mount her. I mean, he was crazy! Do dogs get "blue balls" from not releasing?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that your fellow's scrotum skin is red and swollen. It sounds like he has a skin infection, probably secondary from him trying to mount the female and rubbing his scrotum as well as licking excessively. This isn't uncommon. It doesn't have anything to do with not "releasing" and breeding, but rather simple tissue trauma, increased moisture from him licking and lack of light and air to dry out that area. He may also have irritated the skin on his scrotum by running through plants or from insect bites stings. If he isn't on any type of flea and tick control he should be. Frontline Plus, Advantix or the new Seresto flea and tick collar are excellent. Don't use over the counter products, especially Hartz or Sargents, as most are ineffective if not toxic. The first step to healing is getting him to stop licking and allowing the skin to heal. This likely involves placing an elizabethan collar so he cannot reach them and treating the irritation/infection.Clip the hair in the area around his scrotum very short and use a solution mix of Betadine solution (povidien iodine solution) and warm water, made to look like weak tea, and clean the affected area twice daily. This is an antibacterial and will dry the lesions out to allow them to heal. No rinsing needed, it can be allowed to air dry It does stain horribly though so you probably want to do this outside.If the skin isn't raw a light coat of cortisone ointment like cortaid applied twice daily to the area after it is dry can help ease inflammation and make him more comfortable. If the area is very red and is getting raw he may need to see his veterinarian for an anti-inflammatory injection and oral antibiotics.Please let me know if you have any further questions.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I just wanted to make sure that you received my response and did not have any further questions. If you have questions feel free to respond or if you are all set please remember to rate my response so that I receive credit for my work, thank you, ***** *****