Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

Not sold on Proin (2wks now) 3yr old mix/beagle/?

Customer Question

Hi,not sold on Proin (2wks now) for our 3yr old mix/beagle/? When spayed the vet said her bladder was thesize of a stamp; she now "leaks" at night only.Has tons of time outdoors-supervised; but issues only at night. No infection; had that checked. Doing laundry every a.m. Scared of Estradiol (actually, I take that!:) Thinking of Nutri-Vet tabs?????
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 1 year ago.
Hi Sir or Madam,My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.Sometimes Proin isn't totally effective and other times the dosage needs to be adjusted, so discuss that with your vet. You sound like you don't like hormone replace medication but there is DES (diethylstilbestrol). You can read about it here: http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/diethylstilbestrol-des/page1.aspx.Some other medications might include Imipramine, and Deslorelin if others don't achieve results. http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/imipramine-tofranil/page1.aspx.A specialist in veterinary surgery could perform surgical procedures such as colposuspension, cystourethropexy and prosthetic sphincter implantation which may solve the problem and eliminate the need for any medication. There are other causes of incontinence as well that would not respond to normal treatment for incontinence. In those cases, a referral to a neurologist would be helpful so she could be evaluated for other causes. If it is working for the most part during the day, you might want to put diapers on her at night to avoid the laundry issue. I hope this information is helpful to you. If you need more information or clarification, please reply and I'll get back to you as soon as possible. If you are satisfied, please take the opportunity to rate.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Penny. How is everything going?