Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis Graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management
14008320

My dog had been throwing up dark brown liquids, diarrhea ,

Customer Question

My dog had been throwing up dark brown liquids, diarrhea , and blood on carpet when she scoots across. It is kinda dark red to bright red with mucus in it.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.
Hello,I am sorry to hear about this concern. I will wait for you to reply with a simple, hello, so I know we are properly connected.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I gave her a bath also and she is very tender around her bottom area.
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.
Understood. Need a few minutes to send you some information.
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.
Throwing up the dark brown liquid is a major red flag for me. Why?That suggests a very violent vomiting episode that is even pulling fluid from the intestinal tract. Vomiting causes can include:- Dietary indiscretion (eating something you do not know about)- Stomach or intestinal foreign body- Something that was given to them (new food, new treat, human food)- Intestinal parasitism (not just the worms, but the microscopic bugs like Giardia and Coccidia). They can cause vomiting also, not just diarrhea- Toxin exposure would be less likely, unless you have reason to suspect exposure to a chemical.- Less commonly, endocrine diseases like Addison’s - Generally, in older pets, I am also concerned about organ disease (liver, kidneys) and cancer. The diarrhea causes are similar to above. Red blood in the stool is known as hematochezia.http://www.petplace.com/dogs/hematochezia-blood-in-stool-in-dogs/page1.aspx Common causes can include:1. Straining to defecate due to constipation2. Toxin exposure3. Stress colitis (common when a dog is startled by loud noises, having strangers at the house, a change in routine)4. Intestinal parasites (not necessarily worms, but the microscopic bugs like giardia or coccidia)5. A bleeding polyp or tumor in the colon (large intestine)6. Dietary indiscretion (ate something you do not know about)7. A foreign body that is trying to move through small or large intestinal tract. 8. Bleeding disorder including if rat/mouse bait has been recently ingested.So, with all that general information in mind, it is really critical to get in to a vet and I actually vote for a vet visit tonight.There is ust too much going on here to take a wait and see approach or just use over the counter drugs. I'll make a few suggestions, but strongly vote for the ER visit!
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.
To help settle the stomach you can use of the following, but not as a replacement for veterinary examination include 1.Pepcid A.C. (famotidine) comes in 10mg, 20mg, or 40mg tablets. You can give it every 12 hours. You can give 0.5mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get 10mg. 2.Prilosec (omeprazole). It comes in 10mg or 20mg tablets.You can give in every 24 hours. You give 0.5mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get 10mg3.Zantac (Ranitidne). It comes in 75mg, 150mg, or 300mg sizes. You can give it every 8 to 12 hours. You give 0.25 to 1mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get roughly 1/3 tablet of the 75mg. Even with bigger pets, it is easiest to get the smallest size tablet. Even a 75 pound dog would only need one 75mg tablet. 4.Pepto-Bismol or Kaopectate You can give it every 8 hours. The average dose is 1ml per pound of body weight, and that is the TOTAL dose for the day.So, if a pet weighs 30 pounds, they would get a total of 30ml a day or 10ml every 8 hours. This is dosing for regular strength Pepto-Bismol. If you use maximum strength liquid, give half as much. Here is a bland diet recommendation:Boiled boneless, skinless chicken breast OR low-fat cottage cheeseAndCooked white rice*Never add on salt, pepper, oils, butter to any of the above*Ideally, give 1/3 chicken or cottage cheese, and 2/3 white riceVeterinarians will often prescribe some prescription bland diets as an easy alternative including Science Diet I/D formula.Hope that info helps.Good LuckDr. Andy
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.
Hello
I hope everything is going okay. I apologize if you did not find my answer helpful or satisfactory? May I be of any further assistance?