Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian
49838867

Help my 30 lb dog ate the largest dose of F crushed up chewable

Customer Question

Help my 30 lb dog ate the largest dose of
F crushed up chewable comfort is,,,, help
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I'm sorry to hear that your girl accidentally ingested a higher than normal dose of Comfortis (Spinosad)This medication contains Spinosad, which has a fairly high margin of safety. Spinosad is used for flea prevention and is a relatively safe drug. The most common side effects seen with its use include a decreased appetite, vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy and rarely, in dogs with a low seizure threshold, possible seizures. Studies on research dogs showed no long term effects on dogs that were given ten times the recommended dose. Side effects that were seen at that high dose included nausea, vomiting, a decrease in appetite and some diarrhea.A 30 pound dog would normally take 560mgs. If she took the highest dose (60-120 pound size) then she ingested 1620mgs.I would expect with what was essentially a triple dose of medication that you may see some loss of appetite, nausea, vomiting and diarrhea but I would not expect any long term effects.If she seems at all nauseous, to try and settle her stomach today you can try either:1) Pepcid-ac (famotidine) at a dose of one 10mg tablet per 20 to 40 pounds of body weight every 12 hours.OR 2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at a dose of one 10mg tablet per 20 to 40 pounds of body weight every 24 hours.These will reduce stomach acid and should help settle her stomach. They can be used for several days if necessary.Then feed a homemade diet bland diet for a few days consisting of 1/3 boiled, lean hamburger or boiled, white, skinless chicken, all fats and juices drained off the meat, and 2/3 boiled, white rice. If she is vomiting and you cannot seem to settle her stomach with the acid reducers then I do recommend a veterinary visit, but in most cases of dogs that are over dosed they vomit a few times, have a slight decrease in appetite and need no veterinary treatment.Please let me know if you have any further questions.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Foxy. How is everything going?

Dr. Kara