Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog vomited yellow liquid 3 times this morning He was

Customer Question

my dog vomited yellow liquid 3 times this morning He was swimming in a pond 2 days ago and ingested water chasing a ball. He ate one small bowl of food this morning but no more and usually eats a LOT. He is sluggish. Wonder what to do. Thank you. Judy
He is part beagle. thank you.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome, Judy. I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with Rocket today.
Now if he did have quite a bit of pond water the other day (filled with who knows what), it is quite possible that this is the cause of today's GI upset. Therefore, we do want to consider some supportive care to see if we can settle his wee stomach.
To do so, you can consider starting him on antacid therapy. There are a number of antacids that are available over the counter and pet friendly. I would advise only treating with one, but the two I tend to recommend are Pepcid ( More Info/Dose: http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/famotidine-pepcid/page1.aspx) or Zantac (More Info/Dose: http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/ranitidine-hcl-zantac/page1.aspx). This medication of course shouldn’t be given without consulting your vet if he does have any pre-existing conditions or is on any other medications. Ideally, it should be given about 30 minutes before food to ease his upset stomach.
As well, we can try him on a light/easily digestible diet. Examples of this would be cooked rice with boiled chicken, scrambled eggs (made with water and not milk), or meat baby food (do avoid the ones with garlic powder in the ingredients). Alternatively, there are also veterinary prescription diets that can be used here (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity.) These tend to be better tolerated then normal food when they stomach is upset and can be fed as small frequent meals to settle their stomachs.
On top off all of this, you do need to keep an eye on his water intake. To check his hydration status to make sure she is not becoming dehydrated there are a few things we can test at home. One is whether the eyes appear sunken, if the gums are tacky instead of wet/moist, and whether he has a "skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check these parameters for dehydration, you can find a wee video on this here. (http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=giTyuiF_slw). They use a big dog but it makes it easier to see and the principles are exactly the same for any sized dog. If you are seeing any signs of dehydration already, then you do want to have your lad seen by the family vet before this gets out of control.
Overall, I do suspect our GI upset is related to the ingestion of pond water. So, do try the above for Rocket. Of course, if he doesn't settle in the next 24 hours, then we'd need to consider a check up with his vet to make sure he hasn't caught a bacterial GI bug from this pond that may need antibiotics to settle.
Please take care,
Dr. B.