Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

Can I give my dog Nyquil or something else over the counter cough? I will take her

Customer Question

Can I give my dog Nyquil or something else over the counter for a cough? I will take her to the vet on Monday but I hate to see her coughing :o( It comes and goes, I'm not sure if it is kennel cough?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am sorry to hear you are worried about your dog. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help. I usually recommend Robitussin DM as an over the counter cough medication. She would take 1/4th to 1/2 the dose on the label, for adults. Only the DM is recommended for dogs.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
NyQuil contains acetaminophen, Tylenol. Dogs can take this a few times safely, but it can cause liver damage if taken over a period of time.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
The cough suppressant in Nyquil is the same as Robitussin DM, but no acetaminophen in the Robitussin.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Let me know what else I can answer or help with.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. We will try the Robitussin DM.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
You are welcome. Let me know how she is doing.
Kindly consider rating my answer ( always appreciated!); you can still get back to me with updates and questions after rating.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?