Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator
3570977

My dog just accidentally ate one chicken wing bone.

Customer Question

Hello, my dog just accidentally ate one chicken wing bone. It was cooked & had alittle meat on it. We just gave him some pumpkin, but I am worried. Not sure if we should take him to the vet.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for using this site to help you.
You did the right thing by giving some pumpkin. If he ate into smaller pieces it should go through. Normally when a dog eats something sharp we offer whole grain bread or metamucil as either of these will surround the sharp pieces and carry them through the intestinal tract.
There are two things you will want to watch for , one would be an obstruction of the intestines which would show sudden lack of appetite , vomiting, diarrhea and lethargy.
The next thing is that the bone piece does no puncture the intestinal wall.
Keep an eye on her for now as trying to get her to bring it back up can cause more damage that having it travel through the intestines.
If this just happened your vet can do an x ray and see where it is. But they will probably tell you to watch for any signs of illness in the next few days and keep an eye on the stool to see if the bone comes out.
If you see her struggling to breath, then take her in. Usually if a dog can eat something right after an incident of swallowing something sharp, it is a good indication that it passed through the esophagus.