Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
23185754

My small dog ate a raw hide and now is vomiting and has diarrhea,

Customer Question

My small dog ate a raw hide and now is vomiting and has diarrhea, is there something I can do?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.
Hello. I am sorry to hear that you are concerned about your dog. My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help I just have a few questions. Is this something she gets on a regular bases or was it a new treat for her? When did she eat this? Do you know if she swallowed any large pieces? How big was the rawhide?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He has had a long stick about as big around as a pencil and 10 inches long over a 2 day period. He did vomit a piece about an inch long earlier.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No this is something new, he doesn't get them on regular bases.
Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the additional information. Raw hides are not something often recommended by vets anymore because they can pose a risk of intestinal obstruction. If you want to give rawhide then give him a big one and let him chew on the corners cutting them off when they get soft.Rawhide is also an irritate so even in cases where they pass through fine they can cause some digestive upset along the way. I would with hold all food for 12 hours. You can use Pepcid AC- 0.5mgs per pound of body weight every 12 hours to help settle the stomach.After the fast you want to feed a bland diet of boiled chicken or hamburger and rice. Feed this in small meals several times per day for the next 2 days. On the 3rd day you can mix this with his kibble. I suspect he will be fine in a day or two, however if he has any vomiting after the fast, refuses to eat or seems painful in the abdomen then I would have him seen by a vet. I hope this helps and he does ok. Please reply back if you have additional questions and I will be happy to continue. If you have no additional questions please take a few minutes to provide a rating so that justanswer is notified that your questions have been addressed and I can be compensated for my time.Candy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would Pepto-Bismol work or should I make a trip to town for some Pepcid AC?
Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.
With normal digestive upset we can use Pepto but we do not want to use it if we know there are thing like raw hide in the digestive tract. This can slow down the gut and what we want to do is keep it moving so these things move through that is one of the reason we feed several small meals rather then just 2 so we can keep things moving along. Unfortunately I would say yes you should make a trip to the store for Pepcid