Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

My pit is very uncomfortable. He is whining and doesn't

Customer Question

Hi! My pit bull is very uncomfortable. He is whining and doesn't want me lifting his tail or touching his butt. Kinda has an indention at base of tail that looks awkward. He is walking around and crying. He did eat a lot of grass earlier. Gave him tums. He just ate a little bit.
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How come it said you were available to help me now and I am not getting an answer?
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 1 year ago.
Hi Customer,
My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.
Your question was in a different category initially and when it transferred into my category, I saw it and am responded. I am sorry that the experts in the initial category chose not to respond immediately to you. I apologize for that.
It may be that he injured her tail, so you will want to check his tail over well. He could also have a problem with his anal glands which will cause a dog to hold their tail down as well. The anal glands are 2 sacs on either side of the anus at about the 4' o'clock and 8 o'clock positions. If your dog is continually licking their anus or dragging it, it could also indicate that they are full. This problem can usually be resolved by emptying out the glands. To empty them or express them, you will want to cover the area with a tissue and press your finger on the dog's anal glands with an upward motion. A foul smelling liquid should come out. If nothing comes out and your dog appears to be in pain, you should take him to the Vet. Your vet can do this easily, as he is experienced at it.
Excellent site on anal glands
http://www.dr-dan.com/analsac.htm
http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_anal_sacs.html
There is a condition "cold tail" that dogs develop. Labradors, English Pointers, English Setters, Foxhounds and Beagles are very prone to it but any breed can be affected. I can cause them to hold their tail close to the body and make them uncomfortable and whine. This often follows swims and baths. You can read about it here.
http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/coldtail.html
http://www.thelabradorclub.com/oldsite/cold.htm
It is possible that this is what you are seeing with your dog. With cold tail it sometimes takes up to 2 weeks for the tail to recover. Some owners feel the administration of anti-inflammatory medication aid in a faster recovery.
Dog's have sebaceous glands and perianal glands at the base of their tails. Sometimes, these glands can become clogged and swollen. A warm compress on the spot and cleaning with Benzyl peroxide gel may help with the problem. I would also use some Neosporin or triple antibiotic cream on the area as well. Dogs with this swelling of the sebaceous gland may have a problem with hypothyroidism or a hormonal imbalance, so I would suggest you have your dog seen by your vet if you do not see improvement.
I hope this information is helpful to you. If you need more information or clarification, please reply and I'll get back to you as soon as possible. If you are satisfied, please take the opportunity to rate. Please rate my answer and not the fact that other experts chose not to answer in a timely manner.