VetTechErin
VetTechErin, Licensed Vet Tech
Experience:  Published author in veterinary medical journals and on the Veterinary Information Network with a focus in toxicology
24209094

Can a dog take Tylenol with codeine? my dog has developed a raw sounding deep cough in the

Customer Question

can a dog take Tylenol with codeine? my dog has developed a raw sounding deep cough in the last 45 minutes.t is hoarse sounding. Has not gotten into anything with bones or other strange items. It just seems to be bothering him. He has coughed hard enough to make white spit up twice. Doesn't sound like he is choking, just sounds like an irritated throat cough.
Category: Dog
Expert:  VetTechErin replied 1 year ago.
Hi there! My name is ***** ***** I'd be happy to answer your question about your dog. This combination of medications is not ideal to give to a dog. Both of the medications are (or were) sometimes used in veterinary medications, but never as a human drug combination. Tylenol is exceedingly difficult to dose and can cause some pretty severe side-effects and death if it is dosed incorrectly, and any dose has the potential to cause something called "dry eye", which can lead to blindness if left untreated. Something like dextromethorphan is sometimes used to treat a dry cough at around 0.5 milligram per pound, but dextromethorphan-containing medications can also have things like tylenol, caffeine, alcohol, etc in them that aren't healthy for dogs also. So care must be used anytime you attempt to give an over-the-counter medication to a dog without speaking to a vet first. In most cases due to the high risk of using most over the counter medications, it's far safer to speak to your vet to get a prescription to ensure the right medication at the right dose is being given. If you have any further questions or concerns, please hit "reply" to get back with me!

I'm just following up on our conversation about Poser. How is everything going?

VetTechErin