Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

I am concerned about my beagle. About 6 weeks ago, he somehow

Customer Question

Hi. I am concerned about my beagle. About 6 weeks ago, he somehow hurt his leg. Because of this, for about 2 weeks he did not go on his walks daily which were about 1.5 miles. About the time his legs began to get better, he went to my in-laws and accidentally ate rat bait on May 30th. My father in law made him vomit, took him to the vet and they gave him charcoal and vitamin k. We had his pt time checked about 4 days in and it was good. We have 2 days left. He is just kind of lazy. The vet said not to work him too much on the meds, so we have only been doing about .5 mile walk. He just seems like he is sleepy more. He eats like a pig and still wants walk and play, he just wakes up later and naps more. I am super worried about his sleeping. He has been through so much. :(
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. It would be reasonable to be concerned that the anticoagulant rodenticide was still active in Quigley. Some of the long acting ones can remain active for more than a month. I recommend making sure that a full 48 hours passes after the last vitamin K is administered before rechecking Quigley's bleeding times by PT and PTT testing. If bleeding times are normal, we need to look further for the cause of his "laziness". Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.