Dr. Whitehead
Dr. Whitehead, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, internship trained, with 5 years of experience in high quality practice treating dogs, cats, and some exotics.
13146597

I have a 14 lb mini schnauzer that licked the Malaseb shampoo

Customer Question

I have a 14 lb mini schnauzer that licked the Malaseb shampoo and threw up about 10 minutes later. Thoughts?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Whitehead replied 1 year ago.
Hello there. I am sorry to hear about MiMi's stomach issue this evening. I am happy to help you this evening. As with any shampoo, especially medication shampoos, they can cause stomach upset if consumed. The smaller the amounts consumed the less severe but if they lick a lot the worse their signs may be. So if she licked some and threw up 10 minutes later but is doing well now then there is nothing to worry about. The shampoo could have possibly caused some mild stomach upset and caused her to vomit. But after that her stomach should be calm and no other concerns. If she continues to vomit though or becomes lethargic then I would be concerned that something else is going on and she should get checked out by a vet. Otherwise a one time vomiting 10 minutes after licking some medicated shampoo is not surprising or concerning as long as she is doing well now. I hope this helps and I hope this makes sense. Please do not hesitate to ask if you have any further questions or concerns. I would be happy to help. Please do not forget to rate my response so I receive credit for my time. Thank you!