Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian
49838867

Our english dog is having puppies. She has had one about

Customer Question

Our english bull dog is having puppies. She has had one about 3 hours ago but is now just sitting there. Is there a problem or is this normal?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I understand that you are concerned about your girl's labor and delivery process.I'm not sure if you know exactly how many puppies she is carrying? It sounds like she is well into the second stage of labor that is the active stage of labor. Was the first puppy should be born within 2 hours of you noticing her straining?There shouldn't be more that an hour between puppies and if you see any fetal membranes or a body part protruding the pup should be delivered within 30 minutes, if not that signifies trouble. The problem can be a puppy that is too large to pass through the pelvic canal, improper presentation of the puppy or uterine inertia (poor muscle tone and contractions).Since it has been more than 3 hours ideally she should be seen by a veterinarian now. This is definitely not normal.If she has had another pup since you posted the question I can give you more information about labor and deliveryThere should be a placenta delivered with each puppy. Some dogs will want to eat the placentas but I recommend removing them so they do not lead to stomach upset.When she is done delivering all the pups expect her to expel some blood, fluids and the remaining tissues from the pup's placentas.She may or may not want to eat and drink after the pups. Have fresh food and water ready for her as she needs fluids and calories with all the work she has done. Some dogs however are too nervous or busy with their pups and will wait to eat and drink until later. Here is a link to an accurate article that will help if you have any further questions and also describes possible complications after delivery: http://retiredvet.hubpages.com/hub/Pregnancy-and-Labor-in-Dogs But if she is not having any more pups, especially if you know there are more, then she should be seen on an emergency basis by a veterinarian now. Best of luck with your girl and her pups. Let me know if something I've written wasn't clear.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I just wanted to check in on your girl and see how she is doing or if you had any further questions. Please feel free to reply with any further questions you may have or rate my response if you are all set, thank you, ***** *****