Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

10 year pom has lump in throat, tired, has cough and tries to uo,

Customer Question

10 year pom has lump in throat, tired, has cough and tries to spit uo, wheeses ocasionally, had multiple lumps on hind legs, chest and side of throat2 weeks ago. now,only one on throat, coughs often tries to spit up only spit. gave antibiotics, no help wat could be wrong? under weight-10 pds boney. likes to eat blood test said anemic, changed food for iron and protein,low red blood cell count, had fever, indoor dog, shots were up to date-vet did not do needle aspiration in lumps, swollen glands almost all gone. one large in middle of throat under chin.Worms? now wheeses hi pitch and gags.suddenly lost most of vision over nite. wat could symptoms mean? lumps disappearing?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Michelle-mod replied 1 year ago.
I'm Michelle and I'm a moderator for this topic.
We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still needing assistance from one of the Experts?
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question.
Also remember that JustAnswer has a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Pet to Legal.
Thank you,
Michelle~Moderator
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Such coughing and wheezing begs for X-rays of GoToo's chest. I have to think that GoToo's anemia isn't the type that will be helped by supplementing with iron or vitamin B12 but, instead, is due to a chronic inflammatory disease process involving his lungs. "Bumps" that go up and down are usually lymph nodes reacting to systemic infection or malignancy. Sudden Loss of vision suggests retinal hemorrhage/detachment secondary to hypertension or perhaps stroke affecting his vision center in the brain.
Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had a lot of info for u about gotoo, somehow it got deleted before I could finish! I will try again. This is July 9th now. I have taken him to 2 vets. 1st one did a blood test, low red blood cells, high white, obviously fighting an infection, low iron. lymph nodes swelled in chest, hind legs and other areas. I mentioned he woke up having some trouble seeing, (partial cateracs?) and has a cough, gag, spit every few hours unless totally resting, then every couple of hours. Had good appitite and bowel movements. goes outside to potty, no accidents.He is 12-13 yrs old, not pure pom. (a longer nose).he's had his vaccinations, he's due now, vet said not now cause he is ill. I am glad he was understanding. I would call but its 12:30 in kansas. Vet believes he has cancer and had a few weeks at best to live.He is sleeping right now,(ran out of meds) and breathing fine. In daytime he seems exhausted and any excitement, stress or activity gets him wheezing and coughing' then a gag and (try to)spit up. Only gets a little foam. He wakes up during the night about 3 or 4 times doing this. He gets out of breath easy and wheezes.Its obvious this big lump on is throat is pressing on his asophigus/breathing tube and blocks airflow.Should they do a needle asperation to check for a growth, tumor or thyroid disfunction? I had a growth on my thyroid gland that was quite large( for the second time) and had it removed along with my parathyroid glands and with a med I am fine, except tire easily. Could they have been able to detect that without invasive surgery or altrasound?The glands were swelled to fight off the invasion of course, but what was causing the problem?stays inside unless going to bathroom and hangs out for a little while. Developed partial cateracts seemed overnight, digestion good, changed from chix to beef for more iron. Blood test also said anemic.vet said he has cancer because of the blood test results seemed to signify that. Had a short time to live! Prescribed some meds for pain and inflamation. He has gained one pound since I took him to the vet, changed diet to a refrigerated roll of freshpet brand beef he likes. Normal bowels, no accidents, just low energy (lack of oxygen?) and sometimes wheezes or breaths noisily. Ready to die? I have been at computer for a couple of hours, he's sleeping- no sound. Its scary when he does the heavy breathing, oh, doing it now. Done. meds-1/4 tab every 8-12 hours-Tramadol 50MG, and Rimadyl 25MG 1/2 2xs a day. I TOOK HIM TO ANOTHER VET a week later for a second opinion, No asperation, same opinion-looked at previous bloodwork, lumps on sides seemed gone but neck is larger.Did not tell him what other vet said but they faxed the bloodwork and may have given there opinion.out of meds today, didnt seem to make a differance. Dont act in pain, just irritated. What could be the problem? Should we believe that he is going to get worse so spare him the pain or are the symptoms showing another possibility?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would appreciate your educated opinion, he is loved and well trained. Tired of waisting money and only getting possibilities. I feel like they are giving up because he's older and want to make room for a new needy pet. However, we are seniors and do not want to start over training and caring for another pet, or lose them to illness or leave them to a pound when we pass away. We love him as one of the family and hope to keep him with us as long as possible as long as he is well and not in pain. Do you have info for us?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have alredy paid earlier and havent recieved an answer yet but I figure more detail is needed. He's 11 pds now.
Thank you for the thorough update. Yes, a needle aspirate would be a quick manner in which to ascertain a diagnosis. I still haven't heard that he had X-rays performed but, if so, what was seen?