Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

My labrador pups are 18 days old the rest of the little

Customer Question

Hi my labrador pups are 18 days old the rest of the little opened their eyes around 5 days ago, I have one male who is yet to open his eyes should I be worried
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 1 year ago.
Hi Sir or Madam,
My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.
Puppies do generally open their eyes around 14 days old. In some cases you only see a little glint of reflected light to give you an indication that they are open. For the pup that seems to still have his eyes closed, take a warm washcloth or cotton ball dipped in warm water and clean the eye gently. Try and remove any potential eye discharge that may be helping keep the eyelids closed.
If this doesn't help, and the pup's eye remain closed then I would plan on having the pup seen by your vet at the beginning of next week. Some pups do open them later than others but most do have them open by 3 weeks of age.
I hope this information is helpful to you. If you need more information or clarification, please reply and I'll get back to you as soon as possible. If you are satisfied, please take the opportunity to rate.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your response...i have already bathed them it looks like there a little slit there but not opening fully he will be 22 days old Monday so will take him to vet if not open then
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What reasons could there be if they don't open? What could the vet do? I'm really worried about it
JaCustomer,
The pup could possibly have been born without eyes. That does happen from time to time or the eyelids could be fused together. If the pup still seems to "blink" even without the eyes being open, that is a good sign as it does show the muscle structure is present. Labradors are prone to some eye conditions which can irritate the eye and lead to discharge even in very young pups. That discharge can act like a glue to hold the eyelids shut. I wouldn't worry over what it could be until you go to the vet. Don''t try and force it open yourself. The Vet can do that safely without injuring the eye below.
I've had a rott pup reach 25 days before opening her eyes. The whelping area was well lit and she didn't like bright light when she was a pup. Later her eyes checked out fine with no issues. So some pups are late but the large majority do have them open by 21 days.