Dr. Gene
Dr. Gene, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM degree from Ontario Veterinary College
20949193

I have an ancient daschund (18yrs ) who is in frail health

Customer Question

i have an ancient daschund (18yrs ) who is in frail health but has now developed a tooth abcess he wouldn't survive an anaesthetic what antibiotic should he get and how should it be given cheers
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Gene replied 1 year ago.
Hi there!I'm sorry to hear of your dog's condition...I am assuming you have already seen your vet and had this diagnosed as a tooth root abscess. If so, you probably already know that an antibiotic is unlikely to help as the tooth needs to be extracted in order for the abscess to resolve. A course of an antibiotic is going to result in temporary improvement but the problem is the tooth, unless that's out, the infection will not go away.Understandably, there is concern about safety of anesthesia in a dog of his age; however, older dogs and cats are anesthetized routinely without problems as long as precautions are taken to ensure a safe anesthetic procedure - thorough physical examination, pre-operative testing, individualized anesthetic protocol, effective pre-emptive pain management and close anesthetic monitoring - all help to ensure that problems are either avoided or caught/treated early. To answer your question directly on what antibiotic he should get and how it should be given... There are several antibiotics that can help treat a tooth root abscess, which is essentially a bone infection. Such antibiotics are: clindamycin, amoxicillin, amoxicillin with clavulanic acid (Clavamox), enrofloxacin, marbofloxacin and others. These drugs would have to be given by mouth and at least a 2 week course would need to be given; once that is finished, depending on degree of improvement, the course is repeated at regular intervals to keep the infection at bay. Another antibiotic called Convenia can be given by injection and provides continuous antibacterial effect for 2 weeks after a single injection; this is obviously more beneficial because it may be painful to give an oral antibiotic... In addition to the antibiotics, pain medication is almost a must, because tooth root abscesses are painful, and even if he's not showing signs of pain, he is almost certainly painful (dogs are just not all that good at showing signs of pain in ways we understand)...Hope this helps! Please let me know if you have any additional questions and best of luck!
Expert:  Dr. Gene replied 1 year ago.
Hello again! Just following up to see if you had any other questions come up.. Please let me know!
Expert:  Dr. Gene replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Hunter. How is everything going?

Dr. Gene