Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
23185754

My dog started yesterday having twitches w / kicking motion

Customer Question

My dog started yesterday having twitches w / kicking motion in left rear leg. It happens upon standing & lying down. Noticed few days ago refusing to go up her steps/ramp to sofa. Last few days doesnt want to walk much. Eating good and will respond to
play if provoked.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.
Hello I am sorry to hear that Scout is having some problems. MY name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help. Considering her breed and the symptoms I suspect there is something going on with a disc in her spine. Spinal injuries and disc disease are by far the most common problems we see in this breed. It could be anything from a compressed disc or disc degeneration to more complicated such as a full rupture. Symptoms can range from muscle spasms , not wanting to jump or use stairs to full paralysis depending on where the problem is and the level of damage done. The fact that she does not want to go up the stairs or walk that much further leads me to believe this is spinal related. I would suggest having him seen by your vet for a good hands on exam.Unfortunately most disc injuries can not be seen via x ray and more advanced imaging such as an MRI or CAT scan are needed. If they feel this is due to a problem in the spine your vet may suggest seeing a neurologist if that suggestion is not made I would personally ask for a referral. Your regular vet is great for most thing but when it comes to possible spinal issues best to consult with a specialist that deals with this day in and day out. Until you can get her in try to keep her as still as possible, no running, jumping, stairs, playing etc. Out to potty and right back in.If you need to carry her do so by placing one arm behind the front legs and one in front of the back legs so you can stabilize the spine while moving her. I hope this helps and she does ok.Please reply back if you have additional questions and I will be happy to continue.If you have no additional questions please take a few minutes to provide a rating so that justanswer is notified that your questions have been addressed and I can be compensated for my time.Candy
Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Scout. How is everything going?

Candy