How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Kara Your Own Question
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Dog Veterinarian
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 14840
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian
49838867
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Dr. Kara is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I think my dog ate some multivitamins last night. I don't know

Customer Question

I think my dog ate some multivitamins last night. I don't know how many. I found the pill bottle chewed up on the couch with some pills on the couch. After I took him out, he threw up a lot and now is somewhat lethargic. He is a 70 lb. shepard/lab mix. 6 months old. Is there more I should do for him?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that Nitro ingested some multivitamins last night and vomited and is now somewhat lethargic. Unless there are high levels of vitamin D, especially the cholecalciferol formulations, in these multivitamins this ingestion won't be truly toxic for him, but as you have seen they can cause significant gastrointestinal upset (vomiting and diarrhea).If these are chewable multivitamins and contain xylitol however that is a real concern. That artificial sweetener that is toxic far dogs that can cause gastrointestinal upset, low blood sugar and liver failure. If these contained xylitol then Nitro needs to be seen immediately by his veterinarian.You may see mild stomach upset continuing, including nausea, loss of appetite, vomiting or loose stools, but all of that should be transitory and should resolve with time.Since your fellow seems to have an upset, sensitive stomach you can give acid reducers to try and settle his stomach. Either:1) Pepcid-ac (famotidine) at one 10mg tablet per 20 to 40 pounds of body weight every 12 hours.OR2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at one 10mg tablet per 20 to 40 pounds of body weight every 24 hours.These medications are quite safe and can be used for several days if necessary or for as long as necessary.Then offer a bland diet mix of 1/3 boiled, minced, white, skinless chicken or boiled, lean hamburger and 2/3 boiled, plain, white rice or pasta mixed with some low salt chicken or beef broth to make it easy to lap up and swallow as well as increase his fluid intake. Feed this for a few days, then gradually reintroduce his normal diet.Please let me know if you have any further questions.