Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My normally ravenous 8 year old, yellow lab has stopped being

Customer Question

My normally ravenous 8 year old, yellow lab has stopped being interested in food. 3 weeks ago he got into some chicken that he shouldn't have...has been back and forth to the vet for stomach/bowel issues. He is finally having regular bowel movements. Was feeding him boiled chicken and broth which he would each slowly...which is not his MO...he's a fast eater...cleans the bowl in seconds and watch your fingers. You could tell time by his stomach...now he doesn't really care. He started eating slower prior to the chicken incident, but would always clean his bowl eventually. e's also pretty lethargic, but that could be the hot weather. Should I take him back to the vet?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
What did his vet treat him with initially?
Did they check any bloods or do any tests?
Has he had any retching, gagging, lip licking, grass eating or vomiting?
Are his gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?
If you press on his belly, does he have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?
Could he have eaten something he should not have (ie bones, toys, rocks, plants, chemicals, etc)?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The vet treated him because he ate chicken bones and we thought that he might have an obstruction. No bloods or tests. He wasn't urinating but didn't think that he was having bowel movements. He pretty much always eats grass...so that isn't always a sign of anything unusual. I'm not with him right now, so I'll have to check his gums, but I think they are normal too. The vet did check his teeth when he was in and said they were normal for an 8 year old dog. He had a couple removed in the past few months--because of tooth decay from hitting his mouth on cement years ago...he had been eating normally even immediately after having teeth pulled.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you,
Now I share your concern about Finn. Labs do not go off their food lightly. As well, if he was showing some appetite decline before the chicken bone incident, I would be wary that that may have just been a side issue and that something else is lurking.
Therefore, in regards ***** ***** question, I would advocate a recheck with his vet at this stage. We'd want to consider at his age potentially checking bloods to make sure all his organs are functioning as they should and that there are no signs of infection. Depending on the vet's exam findings and the blood results, this would help to pinpoint what is so progressively and negatively impacting his appetite leading to this decline in energy and activity.
In the meantime, until he is seen, I would note that you can consider trying to rule out nausea (a common reason even without vomiting for poor appetite). To do so, you can consider trying Finn with an antacid. There are a number of antacids that are available over the counter and pet friendly. I would advise only treating with one, but the ones I tend to use are:
*Pepcid (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/famotidine-pepcid/page1.aspx#.VGJLgsn9XPg)
*Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/ranitidine-hcl-zantac/page1.aspx).
These are usually given 20 minutes before offering food (to allow absorption) and of course you want to double check with your vet if your wee one has a pre-existing condition or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.
Once that has had time to absorb, you can consider tempting him with your light/easily digestible diet options. As well, you can also consider trying him with cooked white rice/pasta/boiled potato with boiled white fish, cottage cheese, or scrambled eggs (made with water and not milk). There are also veterinary prescription diets that can be used in cases of gastroenteritis (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity). The aim of these is that they are all light on the stomach and usually well tolerated.
Overall, Finn's progressive appetite loss is ringing alarm bells for me. To hear a Lab is showing a loss of passion for his food, even before the bones, just raises concerns of another underlying issue. Therefore, do check that his gums are pink as they should be and do try the above to see if we can get him eating a bit better. But again, I do suspect something else afoot (ie infection, organ or metabolic issues, pancreatitis, etc) that we need to pinpoint and address to get him back to eating like he used to.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you will try to get another appointment today!!!!
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome, my dear.
I do think that is the best plant of action in this case.
All the best,
Dr. B.
Please remember to rate my answer when you are satisfied as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. IF you have any lingering questions or concerns, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)