Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

My puppy chewed small corner of one of my metoprolol blood

Customer Question

My puppy chewed small corner of one of my metoprolol blood pressure pills. Piece was smaller than a pencil lead, she doesn't show any symptoms should I take her to vet or watch her. She' a chihauhua weighs about 6 pounds.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 2 years ago.
Hi there! My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help you with your question today. Just like an in person consult, I have a few questions of my own to help ensure I give you the best advice possible...How long ago did she eat it?Do you have any hydrogen peroxide in the house?How many mgs was the Metoprolol?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
30 minutes.
Do have hydrogen peroxide
50mg
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
maybe 45 minutes
Expert:  Lisa replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for the additional information. I really appreciate it.Since this medication is made to lower the blood pressure, the biggest worry we have is that it could actually lower her blood pressure enough that it can cause a heart attack.The first thing we need to do is to get your pup to vomit up the pill she ate. The way to make that happen is pretty easy and instructions can be found here:http://www.petplace.com/dogs/how-to-induce-vomiting-emesis-in-dogs/page1.aspxOnce you've induced vomiting, you'll need to monitor your pup for signs of trouble: Fast heart rate, vomiting, nausea (your dog will most likely lick lips a lot and look like she wants to vomit), increased panting and increased thirst are all signs that your dog needs to be seen by the nearest emergency clinic. If you're not sure where an emergency vet is in your area, you can go to: ***** ***** plug in your zip code. They'll point you in the direction of the one nearest to you.If you've gotten the pill out before it's dissolved too much, you can most likely just monitor your dog for tonight, but I would absolutely call your regular vet in the morning and see if they think she needs to be seen.If the pills are already dissolved (meaning you don't see any whole pills in the vomitus) or you can't get your dog to vomit, then you have to get to a vet tonight so that they can help get the pills out of the stomach.I hope this helps!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
She just ate a small piece of the pill and dropped biggest part on the floor.
Expert:  Lisa replied 2 years ago.
Because she's so little and the mgs of the pill were higher than they would be if it had been dosed for her, it's still a good idea to try to get her to vomit.