Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311

Six days ago, my 4 year old Golden Retriever was playing/running

Customer Question

Six days ago, my 4 year old Golden Retriever was playing/running with another dog on a 2 hour hike. Later that day, when he got up,slowly, he favored one of his front legs and had a slight limp. Next day he seemed fine and I took him for his usual hike. Again he did fine on the hike but later in day was limping even more visibly. the last two days I have not 'excercised' him except for short leash walks and he continues to favor the leg but only slight visible limp. Should I try a painkiller? Wait longer before taking him to the vet? Or perhaps just give him more 'rest' and if so for how long?
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.
Hi there! My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help you with your question today.Sounds to me like your pup may have stepped or jumped wrong and twisted that leg. Of course, without being able to see the dog in person and take an x-ray, it's pretty much impossible to tell if it's a simple sprain or something more serious. In cases of leg injuries in dogs, especially tenacious breeds and/or hunting breeds, I always recommend seeing your regular vet just to be on the safe side.That being said, until you can get him in to see a vet, I suggest doing your best to keep him quiet. No running around, definately no dog park, just outside on a leash to go potty and then back inside. If he's used to being in a kennel/crate, you can keep him in there in an effort to keep him from jumping up on couches or running up and down stairs.If he seems especially painful, you can give one low dose or child's aspirin, but make sure you give it with some food to avoid stomach upset, and do not give more than one every 8-12 hours and do not give it for longer than 3 days.If the leg still seems to get more painful, becomes swollen or if he is unable to bear weight on it, I suggest calling your vet or taking a trip the the nearest emergency vet and having them take a peek at it, just to rule out anything more serious than just a little sprain. I hope this helps
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.
Hi Paul,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Dakota. How is everything going?

Lisa