Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My 8 lb 13 year old chihuahua has been on 2.5 mgs of enalapril

Customer Question

my 8 lb 13 year old chihuahua has been on 2.5 mgs of enalapril for about 6 weeks now. He since then has lost almost all his hearing, doesnt wanna go on long walks anymore and sometimes doesnt want to eat at all, not even his favorite treats. Can I reduce his dosage or even take him off of it?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am sorry to hear about your dog. I am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help. Why is he taking the enalapril; does he have high blood pressure, or heart disease?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
heart murmur
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just took him to my vet, we decided to take him off enalapril for now.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for that information. Did the enalapril seem to help him when he started it? Was his blood pressure measured? We usually start dogs on enalapril if they have high blood pressure, or if they are showing symptoms of congestive heart failure (coughing, weight loss, fluid in the lungs), or if an echocardigram indicates heart disease. A murmur is just a sound, and not all dogs with heart murmurs have heart disease. I would not stop the enalapril without checking his blood pressure. If he needs it for blood pressure, stopping it could be unsafe. I would not recommend stopping it, without checking with the veterinarian who prescribed it for him.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, we were writing at the same time! I am glad you consulted your vet about stopping it.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Can I help with or answer anything else?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I probably wouldn't know where to start... I am glad that I was able to see his Vet right away. He is also on Metacam for arthritis but it seems to not be working. So she put him on some prednesone today for a week. His appetite has been really suppressed lately... he won't even eat treats :-(
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So after all I think I am fine consulting with my vet and trying whatever it takes to make him feel better...
Thanks
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Were any blood tests done? Do you know anything about his liver, or kidney function? I will be happy to help, and answer more questions if you like. It is best to work with your vet, who knows him. Let me know if I can be of help. Good luck with him. Rebecca
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes blood tests.. all came back good.. thank you
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
That is good to hear. Let me know if I can be of any help, or if you have any other questions for me. Hope he is doing better soon.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?