Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311

Anna,I have a small mini pins her who is about 14 years

Customer Question

Hello Anna,I have a small mini pins her who is about 14 years old. The last three to four days he has been kicking his hind legs and runs around in circle really fast and the lays on his side for a while.then all of a sudden a few minutes later he gets up really really fast like something bit him in the butt and starts the whole works again.We got hardly any sleep last night,I'm so worried about him! Now he had this once before and we took him to the vet and he gave him a pencillin shot but said there was nothing wrong with him.After maybe another four days the behaviour stopped and now is back again!
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.
Hi there. My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help you with your question about Joe. Just like an in person consult, I have a few questions of my own to help ensure I give you the best advice possible... Do you notice any odor to Joe at all?Does he ever scoot his butt on the ground?Have you noticed if he's defecating normally?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is no door,no scooting and pooping is normal
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.
Will he allow you to look at his bottom?If so...does it seem red or inflammed at all?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not inflamed either. Thank you for your help,I will take him to the doc again this afternoon.He seems to be in pain now.
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.
I think that's a good idea. It sounds to me like it could be an issue with impacted anal glands. All animals have anal glands, and all glands will with that smelly, oily substance. Normally, the glands are emptied when an animal defecates normlly, unfortunately, as you're finding out, some animals have a problem getting them emptied and then they need to be brought in to have them expressed. There's a great article on them here: http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-7468-Pet-Health-Examiner~y2009m7d20-Pet-Health-101-What-are-anal-glands-and-what-problems-can-they-cause-for-dogs-and-cats . As for what you can do to help them...although there is nothing proven to work on every dog, I've seen some success by adding more fiber to the diet (essentially making the feces bigger, so that it pushes harder on the glands on the way out...hopefully expressing them). You could try adding a little canned pumpkin (only real pumpkin, NOT pumpkin pie filling) to her diet a couple times a week and see if that helps. Otherwise, the only other real option is either having the vet express them for you, or doing it yourself at home. If you're interested in trying it on your own, there's a great video on how to do that here: http://www.expertvillage.com/video/8453_dog-grooming-basics-glands.htm . Keep in mind that expressing anal glands is a delicate job and using too much pressure can damage the glands, so it's good that your vet is going to take a peek at him. I hope this helps!!
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.
Hi Beatrice,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Joe. How is everything going?

Lisa