Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311

My 7 year old welsh corgi had a bloody nose few minutes

Customer Question

my 7 year old welsh corgi had a bloody nose for a few minutes today, im not sure what is going on with him, hes a bit over weight and my moms been taking him on walks lately but im not sure what to do
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.
Hi there! My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help you with your question today. Just like an in person consult, I have a few questions of my own to help ensure I give you the best advice possible.How long did the bloody nose last?What was he doing immediately prior to the the nosebleed?Is he on any medications?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It last 1 minute, and he was just laying around after and no he is not on any medication
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.
Has the weather where you are been very warm or has there been any weather changes?Does he do any sniffing in areas with long grasses?Does he rub his face on things or anything?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He's a very old dog, he's quite lazy, he just lays around alot in the house and uses the bathroom outside yes it's been like a hundred degrees lately , and the grass he uses is mostly dirt and dying grass , no he hasn't been rubbing his face on anything , he is very recent with going on walks lately tho , the weather is probably the reason considering he never really goes on walks until now, in this heat.
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the additional information. I really appreciate it.Because of the significant heat index lately, I'm tempted to believe this was simply due to that...just like some humans get nosebleeds when it gets too warm. Especially since he's a bit overweight...this can put pressure on the blood vessels in the body, and in the nose, they're pretty close to the surface.Since it only lasted for a very, very short amount of time, I'd just monitor things right now. If he has another nose bleed, then you should absolutely have your vet take a peek, just to be on the safe side. Id' also keep his exercise to a minimum when it's so warm. That will help.I hope this helps.
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Lisa