Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

My dog ovulated 20 days ago (confirmed by blood test) and mated

Customer Question

My dog ovulated 20 days ago (confirmed by blood test) and mated that day (we bred her intentionally) - how soon can we have an ultrasound?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 1 year ago.
Hi Sir or Madam,
My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.
There are various methods of determining pregnancy. Ultrasound is one of the earliest methods. Most people will recommend at least 21 days from mating if you have an experienced technician. I usually wait a little longer than that to get a better idea. Here is a site that goes over things like what is visible on the ultrasound and when and what is visible on x-rays and when.
http://extension.missouri.edu/p/G9923
Now an x-ray late in the pregnancy will allow you to count how many puppies there will be which is a real plus when labor starts at allowing you to know when she if done with whelping. The last week of pregnancy is a good time for this.
I hope this information is helpful to you. If you need more information or clarification, please reply and I'll get back to you as soon as possible. If you are satisfied, please take the opportunity to rate.