Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

My German Shepherd dog just gave birth to her first litter

Customer Question

My German Shepherd dog just gave birth to her first litter of puppies 12 days ago. All puppies and mommy are doing very well but a day or so after birth I noticed a red sore on mommy dog's tongue. It is red and initially I thought she may have just accidently bitten her tongue while playing with her kong toy; but the sore has not disappeared in the last 10 days. It has not gotten any worse either, it's about the size of a pea and flat on the her tongue. Any ideas on what this may be?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.
Hi there! Thanks for requesting me!Does it seem to bother her?Where on the tongue is the wound?Does it seem to impact her eating?Is she still playing with the kong and/or getting chew toys?